Tomorrow is every vinyl junkie's happiest day on earth! When it comes to Record Store Day, we've been around the block enough times to know how this whole day works out. To help you achieve maximum awesomeness on this the holiest of music nerd days, we've put together a little guide to help you on your quest. Kibbe has provided a helpful guide for Record Store Day Rookies so they can beat the eBay sellers to the records they want and Rocko tells you what releases are simply a must have this year.
Remember: as you're out and about tomorrow, make sure you use the official RSD 2011 hashtag (#RSD11) if you're on Twitter as part of the celebration!
Now onto the guide!!!!
How To Get The Records You Want Before Those Ebay Jerks Do
- Get In Early: We do not recommend an all night rager tonight if you have a serious number of limited pressing records to nab. Find out what time the record stores you're hitting open tomorrow and plan on being there when doors open (if not a little bit before then).
- Make A List: The great folks over at Record Store Day have provided a highly detailed list of the records that will be available tomorrow, so have a once over on that and make note of what you want and which ones are limited pressings vs. just being released on RSD.
- Call Ahead: If you haven't taken RSD seriously before, call ahead to ask your stores how they plan to handle the RSD releases. Some stores set them aside, some put them behind the counter, and others just file the records away like they were nothing special (the nerve!). Also check to see if they're doing anything special to celebrate the big day. You may end up with things like in-store performances, free food, or a special sale.
- Don't Give Up!: If one store doesn't have a record you want, try another one! Be resourceful! One year Kibbe was on the hunt for a Dead Weather single and had to call from NYC a store in FLORIDA to track it down and put it on hold until one of her friends could go pick it up for her. It may cost you more for shipping to do something like that, but at least it won't be double the price like it would be on eBay!
RSD Releases That You Simply MUST Get Your Hands On
1. Danger Mouse/Daniele Luppi (Rome) - Two Against One/Black
2. Franz Ferdinand - Covers EP
3. Deftones - Covers
4. Rhymesayers Limited Picture Disc
5. Foo Fighters - Medium Rare
6. Gorillaz - The Fall
7. Peter Bjorn & John - Dig A Little Deeper/What I could Do If I Wanted
8. Beastie Boys - Make Some Noise
9. Red Hot Chili Peppers/Ramones - Havana Affair
10. Karen Elson - Vicious/In Trouble With The Lord
11. William Elliot Whitmore/P.O.S - Split 7"
12. Grinderman - Evil