We've heard a couple of songs from Just Tell Me You Want Me - A Tribute To Fleetwood Mac over the past few months. Today we get to stream the entire project which features covers of Fleetwood Mac from the likes of Tame Impala, MGMT, St. Vincent, Washed Out, The Kills and Lykke Li. Stream it in full below and from the 14th of August you can pick up a copy of it over here.
Tomorrow is every vinyl junkie's happiest day on earth! When it comes to Record Store Day, we've been around the block enough times to know how this whole day works out. To help you achieve maximum awesomeness on this the holiest of music nerd days, we've put together a little guide to help you on your quest. Kibbe has provided a helpful guide for Record Store Day Rookies so they can beat the eBay sellers to the records they want and Rocko tells you what releases are simply a must have this year.
Remember: as you're out and about tomorrow, make sure you use the official RSD 2011 hashtag (#RSD11) if you're on Twitter as part of the celebration!
Now onto the guide!!!!
How To Get The Records You Want Before Those Ebay Jerks Do
- Get In Early: We do not recommend an all night rager tonight if you have a serious number of limited pressing records to nab. Find out what time the record stores you're hitting open tomorrow and plan on being there when doors open (if not a little bit before then).
- Make A List: The great folks over at Record Store Day have provided a highly detailed list of the records that will be available tomorrow, so have a once over on that and make note of what you want and which ones are limited pressings vs. just being released on RSD.
- Call Ahead: If you haven't taken RSD seriously before, call ahead to ask your stores how they plan to handle the RSD releases. Some stores set them aside, some put them behind the counter, and others just file the records away like they were nothing special (the nerve!). Also check to see if they're doing anything special to celebrate the big day. You may end up with things like in-store performances, free food, or a special sale.
- Don't Give Up!: If one store doesn't have a record you want, try another one! Be resourceful! One year Kibbe was on the hunt for a Dead Weather single and had to call from NYC a store in FLORIDA to track it down and put it on hold until one of her friends could go pick it up for her. It may cost you more for shipping to do something like that, but at least it won't be double the price like it would be on eBay!
RSD Releases That You Simply MUST Get Your Hands On
1. Danger Mouse/Daniele Luppi (Rome) - Two Against One/Black
2. Franz Ferdinand - Covers EP
3. Deftones - Covers
4. Rhymesayers Limited Picture Disc
5. Foo Fighters - Medium Rare
6. Gorillaz - The Fall
7. Peter Bjorn & John - Dig A Little Deeper/What I could Do If I Wanted
8. Beastie Boys - Make Some Noise
9. Red Hot Chili Peppers/Ramones - Havana Affair
10. Karen Elson - Vicious/In Trouble With The Lord
11. William Elliot Whitmore/P.O.S - Split 7"
12. Grinderman - Evil
Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! Since we know the average SKOA reader isn't necessarily into Hallmark cards, we decided to make our own just for you! Some of these were reader inspired, so if you suggested a Valentine idea make sure to drop us a comment and let us know what you think! We hope you enjoy these as much as we enjoyed making them for you! We've provided links so you can share these and they're also available on our Facebook page.
Check out the Valentines after the jump!
Feast your eyes, literally, on this video from the Le Défilé Etam Lingerie Fashion show 2011. We got wind of it via Mark Ronson who simply tweeted "Myself & @BusinessINTL, the Kills, Joey Starr, @KarenElsonMusic, Beth Ditto, Boy George & Andrew Wyatt share a stage". It features performances from all the artists above so hit play and let the 20 minute video use up some of your lunch break/evening depending on which side of the pond you're on.
There's the entertainment of Alison Mosshart blasting out a classic track, Beth Ditto performing a Gossip song, Mark Ronson playing his hexagonal electric drumkit throughout. Then there's Karen playing her acoustic and Joey Starr rapping his way through a track. Then we have Andrew Wyatt singing finally finished off with a performance from Mark Ronson's Business International along with Boy George. That might seem like a lot to take in, but while that is all happening beautiful models wearing next to nothing are gracing the stage with a never ending stream of flesh. Quite the visual treat for a Wednesday and quite the eargasm for a Humpday too. Check it out and enjoy it in all its glory above. I need to take a break after that, blimey.
We told you awhile back that ol' Jackie White was working with The Queen of Rockabilly herself, Wanda Jackson. We've all been anxious to hear what collaborating with Jackie would sound like and if this is any sort of indication of what the rest of The Party Ain't Over will sound like, well, then I guess the party really has only just begun.
As Cover Me Songs reports, Jackie asked Bob Dylan what song Jackson should cover for her album and it was Dylan himself that suggested they do "Thunder On The Mountain".
As you may have already guessed, Jackie thew down some crazy guitar goodies for this track alongside some of his Raco-Weather buddies (Jack Lawrence and Patrick Keeler), his beautiful wife (Karen Elson), My Morning Jacket's Carl Bromel, Ashley Monroe and Jackson Smith.
The Party Ain't Over is available for pre-sale now on Third Man Records. The first 1000 pre-orders will include a limited edition Hatch Show print and there will be 100 limited fuschia colored LPs randomly inserted in true TMR style into the first 1000 pre-orders, so go get on that!
Enough gossip! Check out the track after the jump!
Jack White wifey, Karen Elson has recently released her latest single “The Truth Is In The Dirt,”which features the B-Side of Elson’s previously unreleased cover of 1966 Donovan single “Season of the Witch.” Check out the track below and then go get a copy of this single yourself whether it be digital or physical on vinyl. (Vinyl Perferred)
The ever so beautiful and talented wife of Jack White, Karen Elson performs on KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic.
Check out the video to Jack White's wifey's, Karen Elson, latest single "The Truth Is In The Dirt" off her amazing album produced by White himself, The Ghost Who Walks. The single is set to drop on September 21 and will feature the B-Side of Elson’s previously unreleased cover of 1966 Donovan single “Season of the Witch.” Elson previously performed the song at her record release party at Third Man Records earlier this year. You can grab that whole performence here.